OH. MY. GOODNESS!!!!!! I’m so beyond excited to share this tart with you. It’s beautiful. The flavors are something else. This pie/tart crust is sooooo buttery, flaky, light yet heavy, sweet and melts in your mouth. Has a base of whipped ricotta and goat cheese with lemon zest and heavy pepper. My homemade sun-dried tomatoes and caramelized leeks. This dish is more of an appetizer, but you could totally have it with a side salad as a meal.
What I did first, is I sliced a leek. I soaked the leek rings in cold water, for a good hour to get all that dirt out of the leeks.
Once soaked I laid them on a paper towel and let patted them dry
I put a small amount of olive oil in a sauté pan, on medium high heat, and I started to sauté the leeks. Once the leeks were starting to cook a bit, I turned the heat to medium low to caramelize them. I deglazed the sauté pan with white wine. Once the leeks were caramelized, I turned off the heat and set aside.
Next I started to tart dough. Remember, always cut your butter at the beginning and then place in the freezer. Always want your butter cold when making a supper flaky crust. I also always make my dough, in a food processor. I just find it goes a lot more smoothly, and plus it saves a lot of time. When you have kids, who want your full undivided attention, the easy way is the best way.
Once your dough has come together, you’re going to make a ball and roll it out. Shape doesn’t matter. You will then place on a a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Once this step is complete of the dough, you’re going to move onto the cheese filling. Again with your food processor your going to place ricotta, goat cheese, lemon zest, a small amount of salt and heavy cracked black pepper. You’re now going to turn on your food processor and start mixing it. You want to have the consistency of soft serve ice cream. Once you have your whipped cheese, you’re going to spread it all over the dough. You want to Leave about 3/4inch from the edge. This is so you can fold over once the cheese spread is on.
So you have the cheese spread on and have folded over the edges, to make the crust. You now will take sun dried tomatoes, and place on top whole as if your making a pizza. You can either buy sun dried tomatoes or you can follow my recipe for sun dried tomatoes https://tfwohmyinc.com/2020/07/12/sun-dried-tomatos/ . Either way it will still be yummy! Also place your leeks on top of the tomatoes, and crack some pepper on top. Brush the edges with egg wash and bake in the over at 325F for 40 mins.
When you pull it out of the oven, let it rest until ready to serve. Cut in 1/4 or 1/8. Soooooooooooooooooooo good.
Prep time – 1hr 30mins
I have made this into sections for you.
- 1/2 cup of sliced leeks
- a large bowl full of cold water.
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine
- sea salt & cracked pepper
- Slice your leeks and place in a bowl of cold water for 30-60 mins. Make sure every ring is fully separated. This is so you remove all the dirt
- After soaking the leeks, drain them in a colander, and lay them on a paper bowl. Dab another paper towel on top to make sure they are all dry.
- In a sauté pan, add a little olive oil on medium high heat. Add the leeks and cook just for a few minutes. Turn heat to medium low and let them begin to caramelize. Add your S & P, and move the leeks around every now and then. Once they start to brown, add your wine a deglaze the pan. Make sure you get up all the yummy brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Set aside for later use.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 stick of butter – cut into cubes and placed in freezer until ready to use
- 3 Tbsp of ice cold water – place ice cubes in water to get really cold
Pre heat oven to 325F
- In a food processor, blend flour, sugar and salt. Mix it around a few times.
- Take the butter out of the freezer. Turn food processor to dough setting. Slowly add the butter a few cubes at a time, into the top shoot of the processor, until all the butter is in. You should see the dough forming into small little pea size balls
- Now add your 3 Tbsp, of water. Keep mixing on the dough setting, until all the dough comes together. Take dough out and form into a ball on a floured surface. Now roll out your dough and place on a parchment papered lined baking sheet.
Whipped Cheese filling
- 1 cup of ricotta cheese
- 4 oz of goat cheese
- zest of one lemon
- 1 tsp cracked fresh black pepper
- sea salt
- In a food processor, add all the above ingredients and mix until the cheese becomes a soft serve ice cream texture.
- Spread all whipped cheese onto the pie crust. Leave 3/4 from the edge.
- Once cheese is on fold edges over. Doesn’t have to be perfect. Can be messy.
Sun Dried Tomatoes
- See link above for my sun dried tomatoes or use store bought
- Lay the tomatoes and leeks on top of the whipped cheese. Some can be on the crust.
- Brush the crust with an egg wash of 1 egg and some water. Whisk it and then brush it on, all the edges.
- Bake in the oven for 40mins or until crust is a little golden. You will know when it is time.
- Take out and let cool before cutting. Cut into either 1/4 or 1/8. ENJOY!