Let’s talk about the Huevos Rancheros. The wonderful anytime of the day meal. You see it is served manly for brunch, but honestly as the old saying goes, “breakfast is good anytime of the day”.
Huevos Rancheros – A mid rural farm breakfast in Mexico. Fried eggs served on top of corn or flour tortillas. Refried or black beans with salsa verde or salsa Fresca served with guacamole or sliced avocado. A very simple breakfast. Our American version of eggs, toast and sautéed veggies. England’s, toast, baked beans and eggs. Asia Rice and eggs. Every culture, every country has their own spin on the transitional breakfast. One item that never changes…the egg. The egg is found in almost every breakfast. Go figure. Who would have thought?!
Tonight we had Huevos Rancheros. I did a spin on it. I always like doing spins. Tonight I made a chili cheese waffle Huevos Rancheros. It was yummy! My husband loves them. If it’s on a brunch menu, that is usually his go to, unless he needs your basic breakfast. This meal, took me no more then 30 mins. How is that for time. And on a meatless Monday no doubt.
Always turn you waffle maker on before getting started with anything. Get it nice and heated. I start the beans first, which is my basic black bean recipe. Got those cooking on the stove. Once I had that going I started the batter for the waffles. I use Stonewall Kitchen Waffle Mix, it really is just the best. I made to the recipe on the tub. Next I add a sprinkle of salt, cracked black pepper, half a can of green chili’s and a heaping handful about 3/4 cup of sharp white cheddar cheese. Mixed that all up and added it to my waffle maker. When the waffles were cooking, I fried my eggs. All should be complete in 30mins. If not no worries. Everyone moves at their own pace. Now the fun part of putting it together. Place a waffle on your plate. Top with the beans. Load the beans up. You will see the beans will fall into every nook of the waffles. YUM! Top now with your fried egg. Sprinkle with cheese, add your salsa verde and salsa Fresca (regular red salsa), add some avocado and away you go.
Note – if you don’t like fried eggs, no worries. Really any style of egg will work with this dish. Clearly you don’t have to be traditional. 😃
Prep time start to finish 30 mins
• 1 recipe of Stonewall Kitchen waffle mix
• 1 can of black beans
• 1 Tbsp taco seasoning
• 1 lime zested and then cut the lime into wedges for serving
• 4 cloves of garlic
• 1/2 can of chilies
• 3/4 cup sharp white cheddar cheese – plus extra for the topping
• 1 egg per waffle (for serving)
• salsa verde
• Salt and pepper
1. Turn on you waffle maker and let it get heated.
2. Start to make your beans. In a sauce pan, put your whole can of beans. Add your taco season, 2 cloves of minced garlic and lime zest. Cook until heated through and the flavors melt together.
3. Make your batter. Follow the batter on the waffle tub. Then add your last 2 cloves of minced garlic, chili’s, cheese, salt and pepper. Mix together and add your batter to the waffle maker. Close and Cooke until nice and crispy it not burnt. Want it to be crispy to mimic a tostada. Keep making waffles until batter run out
4. Fry your egg, or make it however you want it.
5. Start to assemble. Waffle on the plate first. Next top with your beans. Add your egg with a sprinkle of cheddar. Finish with your two different salsas and your sliced avocado. Add a lime wedge. ENJOY!