When you get your box from Perfectly Imperfect Produce, and there is everything to make something Mediterranean you roll with it. These cabbage rolls will become your next anytime of the year meatless Monday dish.
Eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, cherry tomatoes, cabbage, bell peppers and onions. So what to do with everything you roast it. I chopped up all the veggies except the cabbage. Roasted them with some salt, pepper chili flakes and some minced garlic, tossed in olive oil.
Place on a baking sheet. It’s fine if your pan is crowded, everything will shrink once roasted. Bake at 400F for 45mins to one hour. Try not to burn the veggies
When the vegetables are close to being done, cook the orzo. When orzo and veggies are complete toss them together with some of your favorite marinara sauce and crumbled feta cheese.
Let the orzo mixture now sit. Now you can do one of two things. You can stop here and serve as is, or you can stuff cabbage leaves. I say stuff the cabbage leaves. But you can’t go wrong either way.
In boiling water take leaves that you have torn off in full and place them in the water for about 2 mins each leaf. Cool off the leaves so you can work with them.
Your now going to stuff the leaves as you would for any cabbage roll. Two to three leaves per roll. Lay a good amount of orzo in the center of each roll. You may need two heads of cabbage.
Fold over and pull tight. Fold each side over and then roll forward. To form little packages.
Place a good amount of marinara sauce on the bottom of your baking dish. Place all your rolls on top of the sauce. Add more sauce covering the cabbage and sprinkle feta on top. Bake 350F for 45mins.
Once out of the oven let cool for a few minutes before servings cabbage rolls can become very hot, since everything steams inside of them. And now your ready to serve.
Prep to serving time 1.5 – 2hrs
• 1 eggplant chopped into bite sized bites – small
• 1 zucchini chopped into bite sized bite – small
• 1 yellow squash chopped into bite sized bites – small
• 1 red bell pepper chopped into bite size bites
• 1/2 red onion chopped into bite sized bites
• 20 cherry tomatoes sliced in half
• 1/2 tsp chili flakes
• 1 tsp sea salt
• 2 cloves of garlic
• olive oil
• 1 cup of crumbled feta plus some for on top of the cabbage rolls
• box of orzo
• 2 heads of cabbage
• 1/2 cup of marinara sauce for the orzo and 2 cups for the cabbage rolls
1. Pre heat oven to 400F. Chop all your veggies except the cabbage. Place all veggie in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil, your salt and chili flakes. Place on a lined baking sheet. Bake for 40-60mins. Take out of oven at 30min mark and move the veggies around. Place back in until all is roasted but not burnt.
2. While veggies are roasting cook your orzo. When orzo is finished cooking drain the orzo and place in the bowl that your veggies were in. Toss around so that oil and salt that is on the edges of the bowl coat the Orzo.
3. Start boiling a large pot of water. Carefully remove the leaves of the cabbage. Once the water is boiling and the leaves are all carefully removed, place in the boiling water. Cook the leaves for about 2mins. Remove with tongs and let dry/cool off on a paper towel. You want to absorb the water with the paper towel.
4. When veggies are finished roasting, remove from the oven take a spatula and move the veggies around so they don’t stick. Allow to cool for about 10 mins, before placing in the orzo.
5. Once roasted veggies have cooled down, place in the orzo. Add your 1/2 cup of marinara sauce, minced garlic and feta toss all together.
6. In a 8×8 casserole dish take 1 cup of the marinara sauce and layer on the bottom.
7. Take the cabbage and layer 3-4 pieces to make a square all overlapping in the middle. Place a good amount of orzo mixture in the center of the cabbage where they all over lap. Note : if you want to make smaller rolls, use only one leaf per roll. They may fall apart but they will be smaller and less filling. Once you have the filling in the center of the cabbage, fold the one side up and over. Tuck the edge under the orzo the best you can. Roll one time over. Fold in either side of the cabbage leaves like a burrito, and then finish rolling up. Place on top of the marinara.
8. Once you have the bottom of the dish filled, cover with the last cup of marinara sauce. Sprinkle your feta on top and bake in the oven at 350F for 30mins. Until cheese on top started to brown a bit and sauce is bubbly.
9. Remove from oven and cool. You may have extra orzo leftover. That is fine. Place some on a dish and place your cabbage rolls on top. ENJOY!
2 thoughts on “Mediterranean Orzo Stuffed Cabbage Rolls”
Looks incredible! Can’t wait to try!
It’s so light and yummy