Are you looking for the perfect grainy side dish, that is loaded with roasted butternut squash, dried cranberries and pistachios? You are?! Well that is fantastic! I have that recipe, right here for you. It pairs perfectly with my Apple Cider Pork Chops. https://tfwohmyinc.com/2020/10/01/apple-cider-pork-chops/
The butternut squash is cut into small bite sized cubes, that are tossed in some cayenne, smoked paprika, brown sugar, salt and olive oil. Roasted until nice and caramelized. I use a wild rice blend, that gives this dish a beautiful hearty fullness. I cooked the rice in homemade chicken broth, but you can absolutely use, store bought. Once rice was cooked, I tossed in dried cranberries, pistachios, chopped up fresh thyme and rosemary, and the roasted butternut squash. Zested some of an orange on top to give it a little bit more brightness in each bite. So simple and it’s autumn in each mouth full. A little sweet, a little spice and a lot of savory.
Prep Time 1hr
• 2 cups butternut squash cut into bite sized cubes
• 1 cup uncooked wild rice blend, cooked
• water, chicken broth and or vegetable broth to your rice in. Use the amount the rice container recommends
• 1 1/2 Tbsp of olive oil
• 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
• 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
• 2 Tbsp brown sugar
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
• 1/2 cup dried cranberries
• 1/2 cup salt pistachios shelled
• 1 tsp thyme minced
• 1 tsp rosemary minced
• 1 orange zested
1) Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheeting with parchment paper
2) Start making your rice. The rice will take about 30- 45 mins. This is because it’s a wild rice blend.
3)While oven is heating up, cut up the butternut squash into bite sized cubes. Lay them on the lined baking sheet, and toss them with the cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, brown sugar, salt, pepper and olive oil. Place in oven for approximately 20-30 mins. With tossing half way through. You want to get a nice caramelized coating on them before bringing them out.
4) When squash is finished roasting, let cool for about 5-10 mins.
5) One rice is good to go and finished cooking, place in a serving bowl. Fluff with fork and let cook for 5 mins.
6) Take the squash, dried cranberries pistachios and herbs along with a pinch of salt and toss all together. On top with a zested, zest an orange on top of the rice. ENJOY!