Who doesn’t love the mustard pretzels you buy in the snack isles?! I have very strong memories as a kid, traveling for dance competitions in the USA, hitting up the Wal-Mart for mustard flavored pretzels. In the late 80’s early 90’s, you could only find them in the Wal-Marts. My parents would buy bags, to take back to Canada. We would devour a bag in the car. We didn’t have much willpower.
So a few years back I saw a photo of a recipe on Pinterest, through scrolling of chicken covered in pretzels. I thought, how can I make this my own. Well Daniel ( my husband) loves dipping his chicken fingers or nuggets in honey mustard sauce. And we both love the honey mustard pretzels. So why not combine the two on chicken? It has been a favorite ever since. At least for us. The kids are so so.
Definitely a cooler weather dish for some reason. A dish you eat with either mashed potatoes or a good old Mac n cheese. Served with a veggie of some sort.
When preparing the chicken you going to do the 3 step breading technique. Flour, egg wash, and bread crumbs and or more flour. However in this case it’s, flour, honey mustard and crumbled up pretzels. In the flour portion, I combine onion and garlic powder along with S&P. The mustard portion is, a small jar of Dijon mustard and half a jar 1/4 cup of honey mixed together. The pretzels you smash or use a food processor to break up. I usually just place in a zip lock, use a meat tenderizer and smash the crap out of them. But you do want to leave some in tacked and just look like they were snapped in 3rds.
This is a really flavorful chicken, made with boneless thighs. You could use breasts, but tights are more forgiving, and don’t dry out like the breasts do. If you do choose to use a breast though, use chicken tenders or slice the breast into a butterfly or butterfly in half and cut to make two separate pieces. I really hope you enjoy the this honey mustard pretzel dish as much as we do.
Prep 20 mins
Cook time 40 mins
• 8 chicken thighs – boneless and skinless
• 1 cup of flour
• 1/2 tsp onion powder
• 1/2 tsp garlic powder
• salt and pepper
• 1 8oz jar Dijon
• 1/4 honey
• 3 cups smashed pretzels
• 2 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
1) Preheat oven to 400
2) In a ziplock bag or food processor break down the pretzels. If using a ziplock bag, use either a rolling pin or a mallet to smash the pretzels.
3) Set up your dredging station. In one bowl your going to whisk together the flour, onion and garlic powder along with S&P. In the 2nd bowl your going to stir your mustard and honey together. In the 3rd bowl your going to place your smashed pretzels.
4) On a parchment paper or silicone lined baking sheet, brush all the melted butter on top.
5) In order do these steps
1- take chicken thigh, cover and shake off flour.
2- place chicken in mustard and cover all edges
3- place chicken in pretzels and fully cover
4- place chicken in buttered on the baking sheet
5- repeat until all chicken is used
6) Bake in the oven 15-20mins preside, until chicken temp is reading 165F. ENJOY!
Note – serve this dish with either mashed potatoes, fries or Mac n cheese and hearty very like broccoli or squash.