This cake says everything Fall. It has pumpkin, raisin’s plumped up in Rum, warm spices that make you feel all cozy inside, and then topped with a brown butter rum glaze, that as a praline texture. This cake is perfect for a Thanksgiving/Fall brunch or dessert at dinner. Something a little different that will knock your family and friends socks off.
Ingredients for Loaf Cake
– 3/4 cup or 1 1/2 sticks of unsalted room temperature butter
– 1 2/3 cup all purpose flour
– 2 tsp baking powder
– 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
– 1/8 tsp ground clove (make it a heaping 1/8 tsp)
– 1 tsp salt
– 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
– 1 cup pumpkin purée
– 1/2 cup granulated sugar
– 1 cup packed light brown sugar
– 2 eggs room temperature
– 1 cup of raisins
– 1 1/2 cups of dark rum (darker the better)
Ingredients for Brown Butter Rum Glaze
– 1/2 stick of buttef
– 1/2 to 3/4 cup of brown sugar
– 1/2 – 3/4 cup of dark rum
1) Preheat oven to 325F.
2) In a sauce pan place your raisins and rum. Make sure rum is covering the raisins. Turn the stove to medium high heat. Bring the rum to a boil for about 3-4 mins. Remove from heat and set aside for about 20-30 mins. Longer the better.
3) Take your loaf pan and smear with a paper towel, some butter. Then throw some flour in there and move the flour around to coat all the edges.
4) In a bowl whisk together all your dry ingredients flour, spices, baking powder and salt. Set aside
5) In a standard mixer, with the whisk attachment, whisk together your butter, pumpkin, sugars and eggs. Once all throughly combine add your flour mixture and mix until all are incorporated together.
6) Remove bowl from mixing stand and attachment whisk. Take your raisins and any left over rum that is in the pot and pour into the batter. Now fold with spatula all the raisins into the batter. Make sure everything is folded in evenly.
7) Pour your batter into your loaf pan. Place in the center of the rack, and bake for 60-70 mins, or until a toothpick that is placed in center of cake comes out clean. Once finished, remove from oven. Take a knife and run it around the edges to make sure the cake is loose. Let cool for about 10 mins before flipping it out onto a cooling rack, then onto a plate once fully cooled
8) While cake is cooking you can now make the Browned Butter Rum Glaze. In a sauce pan brown your butter on medium low. Try not to burn the butter. Once browned add the brown sugar and the rum. Bring to a boil so your cooking down the rum a bit and making a caramel type sauce. You want a nice rich golden brown color. When cake is all cooled, pour the glaze all over the cake. Now your ready to serve. ENJOY!