French cut green beans, coated in a creamy sour cream roux, and topped with all the sharp cheddar cheese you could ask for. who wouldn’t want this as a Thanksgiving side dish?
I grew up on this extremely simple 7 ingredient dish, 9 if you include the salt and pepper. It was a staple for Thanksgiving upon my dads request. This is a dish you can prepare a head of time and then bake right before serving.
Prep & Cooking Time 30-40 mins
• 1/2 yellow only finely chopped
• 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
• 1 large garlic clove minced
• 1/4 cup all purpose flour
• 1 cup of sour cream
• 16oz frozen bag of French cut green beans
• 1/4 tsp of salt
• 1/2 tsp of cracked black pepper or heavier on the cracked black pepper
• 1 1/2 cups of grated sharp cheddar cheese
1) Pre heat oven to 350F or wait until 20mins before serving
2) Take green beans out of the freezer and start to defrost about 30mins prior to cooking them. Beans will still be frozen a bit when placing in the pan. But the water from the frozen beans will help thing out the sauce a bit, to make it extra creamy
3) In a sauté pan melt your butter over medium high heat. Add your onions and sauté in the butter until translucent. Now add your minced garlic and stir in.
4) Sprinkle your flour over the onions. Add your salt and pepper and stir to form a roux. Now add your sour cream. Stir until all is well combine and smooth and creamy.
5) Now add the whole bag of French cut green beans. Turn the stove off, and stir until all the beans are well coated and creamy.
6) Pour the green bean mixture into a quiche dish or a shallow casserole dish. Top with the cheddar cheese. Now you can either keep out until ready to bake, or place in the oven at 350F for 20 mins or until cheese on top is all melted and bubbling. ENJOY!